The historical Soča Valley…
The Upper Soča Region was part of the Isonzo Front during the First World War….
Preserved from this time have been trenches, fortifications, memorials and military cemeteries, which constitutes important cultural and historical heritage. In order to protect and preserve this heritage “The Walk of Peace in the Soča Region” Foundation was founded in 2000…
Pot Miru – “Walk of Peace” visitors centre. Located at the seat of the Foundation is the Walk of Peace Visitor Centre where visitors are offered all necessary information about the Walk of Peace from the Alps to the Adriatic and the heritage of the Isonzo Front, the guide service, souvenirs of local handicraft and historical and tourist literature. An interactive permanent exhibition on the Walk of Peace and a flight simulator are also staged here.
The Walk of Peace….
The Walk of Peace which combines the heritage of the Isonzo Front with natural wonders is the main product of the Foundation.
It is dedicated to the memory of numerous victims of the First World War. Trekking along the about 100 km long Walk of Peace, or only along a part of it, offers to every visitor an active rest in the wonderful, tranquil, unspoiled nature marked with the river Soča, the world of medium-high and high mountains, flocks of sheep and goats, and still active alpine pastures in summer, and the history of the First World War.
The Kobarid Museum was founded in 1990 with the aim of presenting the rich history of Kobarid and particularly the events on the Soča Front from May 1915 to November 1917. Its orientation places it among historical museums with a military subject and an antiwar message. In the foreground are the “little people” caught up in the horrors of war who can not be divided into good and bad by the colours of their uniforms.
The greater part of the permanent exhibition is devoted to events in the mountainous northern section of the Soča Front and the detailed presentation of the famous Battle of Kobarid, the twelfth battle on the Soča River on October 24, 1917, during which German and Austro-Hungarian divisions drove the Italian forces back all the way to the Piave River. These events inscribed the names of KOBARID, CAPORETTO, and KARFREIT on the maps forever.
April – September 9 – 18. 9 – 19 Sat., Sun., Holiday
October – March 10 – 17. 9 – 18 Sat., Sun., Holiday
THE MUSEUM IS OPEN EVERY DAY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR
Free-of-charge guide for a group of at least 15 persons announced in advance.
Guide for smaller groups – 20 €/hour.
Guided tours are also organized along the Kobarid History Walk (3 hrs) and on the areas of the Isonzo Front remains.
Captions and texts are in Slovenian, Italian, German, and English. Guided visits are in Slovenian, Italian, German, English, Croatian, French, and Spanish. Multivision presentation is in Slovenian, Italian, German, English, French, Spanish, Czech, and Hungarian.
TICKETS (year 2011):
4€ Retired persons
4€ Students (University, Secondary levels)